Planning to take a trip to Leh Ladakh? We are there to help you plan the most fun-filled and adventure-packed Leh Ladakh Bike Trip plan. There is something about this motorbike expedition that gets all the adventure seekers excited and energized. Having the highest motorable passes that offer a unique experience, a Leh Ladakh Bike Trip indeed is one of the most sought-after places for thrill-seekers.
Reasons why Leh Ladakh Bike Trip is so popular
Fun-Filled & Power-packed adventure: You can choose to camp, trek, ride and enjoy the rush of the challenging routes all on your bike.
Camping in nature: Camping is surely going to fill you with amazement.
Off the beaten path: There is no specific itinerary when you’re on the road to Ladakh as the road itself is the destination.
Soul-searching: Leh Ladakh bike trip is an opportunity to feel at one with yourself and nature.
Group trips: A Leh Ladakh bike trip is certainly going to be one of the most satisfying and enjoyable road trips with your buddies.
Best Routes For A Bike Trip to Leh-Ladakh
There are two routes that you can take for your Leh Ladakh bike trip. One is the Srinagar one and the other is through Manali. You can choose any:
- Srinagar-Leh Route: Upon crossing Jalandhar, this route passes through Srinagar, Sonmarg, Zozi La, Drass, Kargil, Mulbekh, Lamayuru, Saspol and then reaches Leh. The best camping spots on this route are Drass and Kargil.
- Manali-Leh Route: Upon crossing Manali, this route passes through Rohtang, Keylong, Jispa, Baralacha La, Sarchu and Gya. The best spots to camp on this route are Keylong, Jispa, and Sarchu
Best Time To Take Leh-Ladakh Bike Trip
Manali to Leh highway opens in mid-May and at the start, it takes time to clear off. It generally closes by end of September. Anytime between June to September would be a good time for this route. The Srinagar route also opens anytime between mid-May to June and closes in November. So, considering this July to November is an ideal time for this route. Make sure that you check online the exact timings when the routes are open and make a Leh Ladakh bike trip plan accordingly.
Leh Ladakh Bike Trip Plan
- Plan your route.
- Get your Rohtang pass and other inner line permits online.
- Get your bike properly serviced.
- Book your Leh Ladakh accommodation online well in advance after comparing tariffs.
- Check road conditions online before taking off.
What To Carry On Your Bike Trip
- Past Tandi on the Manali route, there are no gas stations, so be sure to fill up your tank in those areas.
- Keep license & registration, PUC, permits as well as other photo id proofs ready.
- Carry a printed route map.
- Chargers, power banks
- First Aid Kit (with prescribed meds for AMS)
- Rechargeable torches
- GPS with a charger
- Camera kit and gear
- Swiss army knife
- Helmet with protective visor
- Riding goggles
- Riding gloves
- Riding jacket with thermal inners
- Lip balm & moisturizer
- Spare tyre & puncture repair kit
Tips While Riding To Ladakh on Leh Ladakh Bike Trip
- Don’t showboat or perform stunts on the road or at speed, especially on tricky patches.
- Learn how to fix a flat tire if you don’t already know how to.
- Stay hydrated and take plenty of refreshment breaks.
- Wear brightly coloured clothing so you are visible from a distance to oncoming traffic.
- Carry extra cash with you, for contingency’s sake.
You can choose any decent motorcycle that is in good shape that should be able to make the journey though. Royal Enfield seems to be one of the most preferred choices of most serious riders heading to Ladakh.
Bike Rentals For Ladakh
If you do not have a bike of your own, you can choose to hire a bike on rent for your Leh Ladakh bike trip well in advance.
Excited much? You will be once you start planning your trip and anticipating all the unexpectedly pleasant sights and surprises that you are bound to encounter on the bike trip of a lifetime. Bon Voyage! If you have any inputs or questions, use the comment box below.