Planning to take a trip to the land of adventures, make sure that you take all the health precautions before embarking on this miraculous and adventure-packed journey. A road trip to Ladakh is fun and exciting but comes with certain difficulties. It is because of its geographic location and its altitude that Ladakh experiences low oxygen pressure accompanied by cold climatic conditions. Therefore, it is recommended to follow the below-discussed tips and suggestions so that one might be able to fully appreciate the beauty of this paradise on Earth.
Health precautions to be taken on Leh Ladakh Bike Trip
- First and foremost is acclimatization. Spend a whole day in Manali or Leh and get acclimatized to the high altitude air pressure. If you ignore this important rule, then the probability of occurrence of health issues is very high.
- Make sure that you drink lots of water to stave off AMS (acute mountain sickness). It is a very common health complication that a traveller can avoid with proper acclimatization and hydration.
- Don’t forget to carry essential medications. Make sure to take medicines that do not cause any side effects. The most common ones that can help you combat AMS are Diamox, Dexamethasone and Aspirin. It is always advisable to consult your doctor before taking any medication.
- Also, pack a first aid kit which contains essentials such as bandages, fever medicine, stomach medicine and headache medicine.
- Most importantly pack warm clothes and a windbreaker to keep you warm on your journey in the chilly Himalayan winds.
- Apply sunscreen and moisturizer before beginning your road trip to Ladakh and protect your skin.
- The main hospital in Leh is SNM hospital. Apart from this, other private clinics are also available in Leh.
- Avoid smoking and consumption of alcohol during your bike tour to Ladakh. Drink plenty of water at regular intervals of time.
- The importance of proper sleep cannot be overemphasized.
The above discussed are a few tips that will allow you to enjoy your trip to Ladakh without compromising your health. Follow these health tips and have a safe and enjoyable adventure in the Land of the llama.