ITINERARY FOR LEH LADAKH
Ladakh is one of the beautiful places in our India.One should must visit Ladakh at least once in a lifetime because the place is such a beauty in itself. Ladakh is a super friendly city and people over there are so much welcoming, not only people actually you’ll see yourself greeted by the most spectacular panoramic views of snow-capped mountains, ancient palaces, and Buddhist stupas. When talking about the itinerary for Leh Ladakh 14 days are enough to enjoy the beauty of Ladakh. You can cover almost all places in Leh Ladakh in 14 days. So here’s your 14-day plan:
DAY1 ( Delhi-Jammu/Patnitop)
- Traveling distance and time: Distance from Delhi to Jammu is 576kms, which will take you approximately 12-13 hours depending upon the breaks you’ll make. Breaks in between are definitely going to help you because you won’t be tired and you’ll feel fresh all the way.
- Breakfast/Lunch: The best place for breakfast in between Delhi to Jammu is Murthal. The buttery paranthas will surely make your day. After breakfast and a few hours of drive, you can stop in Ludhiana for Lunch. The Punjabi tasty food over there will help you survive better for the rest of the day.
- Destination: After reaching the destination that is Jammu, book a hotel for yourself and take a good sound sleep so that you wake up fresh for the next day.
- Traveling distance and time: The distance from Jammu/Patnitop-Srinagar is 270kms and it will take you around 8 hours to reach there depending upon the stops you’ll make. Again breaks are definitely going to help you in between.
- Places to visit in between: There are some really beautiful places in between Jammu/Patnitop to Srinagar which are definitely going to be an add-on on your trip.
- Dal Lake: Do enjoy walk around Dal lake, the lake is such a beauty in itself. The refreshing air will make you feel so fresh and energized that the rest of your journey will not be hectic at all.
- Shikara ride: Shikara ride is a dreamland for everyone who has been lusting for some relaxing moments.Shikara is a small wooden curved boat which gives you a relaxing ride with a beautiful view of nearby lakes.
- Shalimar Bagh: Shalimar bagh lies around the bank of Dal lake in Srinagar.It is spread around 31 acres of land. The place is so beautiful and attracts a lot of visitors towards it. The name of garden literally means ‘Abode Of Love’.
- Nishat Bagh: The Nishant Bagh fondly known as the Garden of Joy. Its beauty is enhanced by the well-manicured landscapes and cypress trees.
- Food: For food enjoy Kashmiri cuisines primarily which are non-vegetarian with of course some exquisite vegetarian dishes on offer which are mostly influenced by the traditional cuisines of the Kashmiri pandits and the mughlai cuisines. Rogan Josh and Dum Aloo are definitely going to make your tummy happy.
- Stay: After having the delicious food , book yourself a hotel and take a good sound sleep so that you wake up fresh for the next day.You can find many good hotels at cheap rates with many facilities like complimentary breakfast, free wi-fi and many more facilities like that.
DAY 3 (Srinagar–Sonamarg–Zozi La–Drass Kargil)
- Traveling distance and time: The distance from Srinagar–Sonamarg–Zojila–Drass–Kargil is 201kms and it will take you around 8 hours to reach there depending upon the stops you’ll make. The goal is not to reach the destination, the goal is to enjoy every moment, every second of the trip. So enjoy as much as you can while traveling from one place to another because these are going to be memories, you are gonna cherish for life.
- Places to visit in between: There are some really beautiful places to visit in between which are definitely going to make your trip more beautiful.
- Sonamarg: Sonamarg is situated at an altitude of 2800 m.The place is surrounded by numerous five-thousand peaks and is very soothing and refreshing. You will find mountains covered with snow which are such a beauty to watch.
- Zoizila pass: Zoizila pass is 9 km away from Sonamarg.This pass lies between Kashmir and Dras. The place is covered with snow and is a perfect place to chill and hang around. The view of the place will leave you mesmerized.
- Minimarg: Minimarg is known for its scenic hills and valleys. The view has such positive vibes that will literally freshen up your soul. Minamarg is all covered with snow.The place is definitely gonna refresh your mind and soul.
- Kargil War Memorial: Kargil War Memorial is constructed by the Indian Army. The memorial lists all the names of officers and soldiers who martyred in the war. The brave soldiers and officers have done so much for us and for our country, there could be nothing better than visiting memorial and paying tribute to them.
- Food: You can have food at Drass. The famous Rajma Rice of Drass are like heaven. They add ghee on top of rice and serve them with some sliced onions and lemon wedges. In non-veg, the famous dish over there is Mutton Curry so do give it a try too. Non-veg lovers are definitely gonna love it.
- Stay: Kargil offers hotels from budget to mid-range resorts that have well-appointed rooms and hospitable staff. You can get a pretty good discount depending upon the month you visit. Maily option for accommodation, indulge affordable hotels with decent amenities and promise a pleasant stay. A homestay is also an option in Kargil.
- Traveling distance and time: The distance from Kargil-Lamayuru-Leh is 240 kilometers and will take you around 9 hours depending upon the breaks you make. This 9 hour journey will give you the view of different beautiful places that you are going to cherish for life.
- Places to visit in between: From Kargil-Lamayuru-Leh you can cover many beautiful places. Our India has some really amazing places which are not even heard of. So these are some of the places you’ll cover in between:
- Namki La and Fotu La: Namika La pass is on the way from Kargil to Leh and is at an altitude of 3815 Mtrs. As you’ll move further from Namki La pass to Lamayuru you will reach the highest point of Srinagar-Leh highway which is Fotu La Pass which is at an altitude of 4108 mtrs.
- Mulbekh Maitrey and Lamayuru Monastery: This beautiful monastery in Kargil District has a big Buddha statue that is engraved on a big rock.The place smells ancient and peace. The beautiful Lamayuru Monastery is the main seat of Drikung Kagyu tradition and is situated in the lower part of Ladakh
- Magnetic Hills: It is named as Magnetic hills because it pulls stationary vehicles upwards.It attracts a lot of tourists towards it and tourists can relax and chill there and enjoy the beautiful view of hills.
- Gurudwara Pathar Sahib: The beautiful Gurudwara Pathar Sahib is highly revered gem and is such a beautiful place to visit which will give you inner peace and serenity.The place is devoted to Guru Nanak Dev ji who is founder of Sikh religion.
- Food: You can have food at Lamayuru Monastery Restaurant. They serve both vegetarian and non vegetarian food. Having delicious food with a mesmerizing view will make both your eyes and stomach happy.
- Stay: Leh has some really amazing hotels with amazing facilities. On an average, they will charge you around 1500 rupees for a day, which will include dinner, wi-fi facilities , well-appointed staff and laundry facilities.
DAY5 (Leh Local Sight Seeing + Inner Line Permits)
- Traveling distance and time: The distance from Leh to the Leh Local Sightseeing is 30 kms and will take you around an hour to reach there. The distance is less and traveling will cause you less time. Rest there for a while and take the Ladakh Inner permits stamped in Leh Tourist Information Centre or Leh DC Office.
- Places to visit in between: After taking the permit from the office, contact the taxi drivers over there who will give you a nice tour of the city. Talk to them politely, they’ll give you 10-15% discount on the total fare. So these are some of the places you’ll cover in Leh:
- Shanti Stupa: The beauty of this place will leave you spellbound. The place is so fascinating and beautiful. The white dome structure in shanti stupa dedicated to Buddhism. The snow-capped mountains make the view more beautiful. It is a perfect mixture of nature’s beauty and peace.
- Hall Of Fame: Hall of fame is a must-visit place for Indians. The place has such a positive vibe, it will make you remember all the sacrifices our Indian Soldiers did for us and for our India defending the motherland in the Indo-Pak Wars.
- Tsemo Castle: The Fort Palace was built during the sixteenth century and is the reason why most of the Ladakhians use Namgyal as their surname. It is built on the highest point in Leh and gives the 360 degrees view of the city.
- Changspa Road: The Changspa Road in Leh is a fully facilitated market. Here you will find restaurants, shops, travel agents, money exchangers. It is a perfect Tourist Market. You can roam around, shop and have fun in this market.
- Food: For food you can totally rely on Changspa Road.In snacks you can have their famous buns, breads and many more bakery items. For the main course, you can have Teemo, which is a famous dish of Ladakh .
- Stay: You can stay at any of the hotels in Leh and take a good long nap there and prepare yourself for the next day because the next day is gonna be a long 6 hours journey.
DAY 6 (Leh-Khardung La-Diskit-Hunder)
- Traveling distance and time: Leh to Hunder is 126 kilometres and will take you around 6 hours to reach Hunder depending upon the breaks you’ll make. On the way from Leh to Hunder you’ll cover some really famous places.
- Places to visit in between: There are some really amazing places in between Leh to Hunder like Khardung La Pass.These are some of the places that you’ll cover in between:
- Khardung La Pass: Khardung La Pass is the highest motorable road in the world.It is known as bikers road.This road is taken by hundreds of bikers daily.Khardung La Pass is open year around.You can enjoy tea at a cafe there.
- Diskit Monastery: Diskit Monastery has a very beautiful and huge statue.This statue attracts a lot of tourists as it is considered as one of the oldest Buddha statues in the Ladakh.
- Hunder Sand Dunes: At the Hunder Sand Dunes, tourists can enjoy the mesmerizing view and enjoy the camel ride there. Also it is a perfect spot for clicking some amazing selfies.
- Food: Leh is a town full of experiences and thrill. You’ll experience various kinds of amazing food there and your tummy cannot be more satisfied.You can have food at Khardung or Khalsar Village.
- Stay: After a hectic yet enjoyable day, book yourself a hotel in Hunder. They will charge you around 1200 rupees for the day with all the basic facilities and complimentary breakfast.
DAY7 (Hunder-Sumur-Panamik-Khardung La-Leh)
- Traveling distance and time: The traveling distance from Hunder to Leh is 215 kilometers and it will take you around 6 hours to reach back to Leh again depending upon the stops you’ll make.
- Places to visit in between: The places you’ll visit in between Hunder to Leh are some famous monasteries, lakes which are going to give you a feeling of blissfulness.The places you’ll cover are:
- Yarab Tso Lake: This lake is around Nubra valley and is considered as one of the high altitude lakes.The view is such a beauty to watch and the presence of fresh clear water will make you feel relaxed.
- Hot Springs Near Panamik: It is famous for its hot water dip, a dip is sufficient because it is nearly impossible to be in such a hot water for a long time. It basically has a separate pool for both men and women
- Sumur Monastery: It is one of the famous monasteries of Ladakh.This place can be visited by the people of all age groups. This monastery is surrounded by the number of beautiful trees.
- Food: You can have food at Khardung or Khalsar Village again and try some more amazing dishes there.You can have both vegetarian and non vegetarian food here.
- Stay: Stay overnight at Leh, Leh has some really amazing hotels as compared to other towns.You can also get a pretty good discount there depending upon the month you will visit. Any good hotel over there will charge you around 1000-1500 rupees for a day.
DAY8 (Leh-Hemis Monastery-Pangong Tso)
- Traveling distance and time: The distance from Leh to Pangong Tso is 180 kilometres and it will take you around 7 hours depending upon the stops you’ll make.
- Places to visit in between: By now you must have known how beautiful Leh is.There’s a lot more beautiful places you’ll cover while going from Leh to Pangong Tso. Excited enough? These are some of the places you are gonna come across with:
- Chang La Pass: It is claimed to be the third highest motorable mountain pass and it is at an altitude of 5360 metres.You can enjoy tea there and relax yourself for a while over there.
- Hemis Monastery: This monastery attracts a lot of tourists towards it.The architecture of monastery is very beautiful and has two large Buddha statues.Ancient items over there describes our rich culture.
- Chagar Tso Lakes: Tso lake’s view is so breathtaking, i doubt if you would like to come back from such a beauty. The beautiful view of the sunset will leave you spellbound. You can take some selfies there.
- Food: You can try their most famous food item known as Thupka. Thukpa is a soup which contains vegetables with noodles and chicken dipped in it. You can also try their Famous Tea known as butter tea.
- Stay: Interact and talk as much as you can with the local people over there, trust me, they are very friendly. At night book yourself a hotel in Pangong Tso and do make yourself ready for Day 9.
DAY9 (Pangong Tso-Thicksey-Sheh-Leh)
- Traveling distance and time: The distance of Pangong Tso to Leh is 180 kilometres and it will take you around 7 hours to reach back to Leh.You’ll come across with some beautiful lakes on the way, so make sure you don’t miss to watch the beauty.
- Places to visit in between: From Pangong Lake to coming back to Leh you’ll explore some beautiful lakes and the view that will be very captivating. So these are some must visit places to visit on the way:
- Pangong Tso: It is a lake which has a crystal clear water at such a high altitude. It is advised to not to take a dip in the water as the water is freezing cold and can cause health problems. You can spend time their till noon.
- Thiksey Monastery: Ladakh is all surrounded by beautiful monasteries, Thiksey Monastery is one of them. It is a place for sightseeing and exploration and you’ll get to know about several facets of Buddhism.
- Shey Palace: It is located beside the river Indus and attracts a lot of tourists towards it.One of the Aamir Khan’s hits 3 Idiots was shot in Leh College.
- Food: I bet you are going to miss the Leh food the most once you come back from the trip.So try as much Leh’s food you can try, specially the momos. You cannot have as tasty momos as Leh’s in whole world.
- Stay: Stay at the same hotel you stayed on Day 7. Take a good long nap and be prepared for the next day because there’s a lot more exploration and adventure left.
DAY10 (Leh -Chumathang-Tso Moriri)
- Traveling distance and time: The distance from Leh- Chumathang to Tso Moriri is 240 kilometres and will take you around 240 kilometres depending upon the stops you’ll make on the way.
- Places to visit in between: The three important things you would have to remember while covering places is to stay warm , hydrated and to be health conscious. These are the places you’ll be covering from Leh to Tso Moriri
- Tso Kiagar: Ladakh is famous for lakes and monasteries.So Tso Kiagar is another lake you will come across with.This lake has a beautiful scenic beauty and is surrounded with birds and doves.
- Namashang La Pass: This pass is at a very high altitude. You’ll come across this pass on your way.Enjoy the freshness of the pass.
- Korzok Monastery: This is one of the oldest monasteries in Ladakh. The major attraction of the monastery are the beautiful paintings.
- Food: Have food at chumathang, you can have Italian , Indian, Tibetian fresh food there. You can have yummy tasty food there with Bonfire and river side view.
- Stay: Stay at Tso Moriri for a night and relax for a while. You’ll get a good hotel over there with all the basic facilities and can also get a pretty good discount there.
DAY11 (Tso Moriri-Tso Kar-Moore Plains-Sarchu)
- Traveling distance and time: The distance from Tso Moriri to Sarchu is 227 kilometres and it will take you around 9 hours depending upon the breaks you’ll make.
- Places to visit in between: So finally its your day 11 , last few days of your trip. Make the most of it, enjoy yourself and live your life to the fullest. These are some of the places you’ll come across on day 11:
- Moore Plains: This is one of the most famous places among tourists. The mountains over there are so beautiful that words won’t do any justice to describe them.
- Lachung La: This pass remains open for four and a half months.The pass offers the beautiful view of snow capped mountains and lakes.
- Nakee La: This place is for people who are into horror movies and all.There’s a myth that ghosts exists in this road and passengers can be disturbed by the ghosts if they do not pay tribute to them.
- Food: You can make your tummy happy at Png or Tso Kar and try their authentic delicious food. I am sure foodies are gonna miss the food of Leh the most.
- Stay: Book yourself a hotel at Sarchu, take a rest in cozy blankets and prepare yourself for the adventure you are going to experience the next day.
DAY12 (Sarchu-Baralacha La- Rohtang Pass- Manali)
- Traveling distance and time: The distance from Sarchu to Manali is 223 kilometres and it will take you around 9 hours to reach the destination depending upon the breaks you’ll make.
- Places to visit in between: As the trip will end you’ll start missing all the adventures you did, all the experiences you have had, all the fun you did with your friends or family. So enjoy the last days as much as you can. These are the places you’ll cover:
- Baralacha La: Baralacha La is a very beautiful cold place which is surrounded by various beautiful sights.It is the highest mountain that is located at 16,040 feets.
- Suraj Tal: Suraj Tal popularly known as lake of Sun God, is situated at Upper Himalyan Zone.The beauty of the lake cannot be expressed in words and is a perfect place for nature lovers.
- Deepak Tal Lakes: Deepak Tal lake is a tiny lake which gives the beautiful view of the Himalyas. Nature lovers are definitely going to love the lake a lot.
- Food: You can have food at the popular restaurant named ZingZing Bar. They serve both liquor and food with a beautiful view. Sitting on a rooftop, having food and drinks will make your day.
- Stay: Manali is a very famous place, you will easily get any good hotel over there with a pretty good discount.Most of the online hotel websites offer discounts on hotel there.
- Traveling distance and time: The distance from Manali to Delhi is 570 kilometres and it will take you around 12 long hours to reach the destination depending upon the breaks you’ll make
- Places to visit in between: While driving back from Manali enjoy the drive back home, you can also visit famous Solang valley in Manali. Enjoy your last drive back home and remember all the memories you made.
- Food: You can have delicious North Indian food in Sundernagar or Karnal. North Indian food is our forever favorite, so enjoy the meal and drive back home safely.
There’s no place like home in this entire world. So after a 14 days long trip take a good long nap, relax yourself, take a rest, have home-made food and cherish all the memories you made on the trip.
So this was the 14 day itinerary for Leh Ladakh. I hope this will help you and hope that this itinerary has given you a clear vision about which places to cover, how much time it will take to go from one place to another, about the food and hotels and about the adventures you are going to do. So pack your bags, make the most of your trip, click some amazing pictures and enjoy as much as you can.