Leh Ladakh Bike Trip is for real the adventure of a lifetime in India and every adrenaline seeker wishes to take a trip to the ‘Land of High Passes’ at least once in their lifetime. To help you with this journey, backpackcan has brought together a comprehensive guide for bikers for theri Leh Ladakh Bike Trip.
Best Time for Leh Ladakh Bike trip
Usually Ladakh remains covered in snow for most of the year and the warm months are without any doubt the best time to visit Ladakh. These months are from May to June, and the monsoon months are from July to September. It is only during this time that the bike expedition to Ladakh is possible. Therefore, the best months to take a Ladakh Bike Trip are from the end of May to September.
Most Essential Travel Tips for Leh Ladakh
Ideal Days needed for a bike tour to Ladakh
The number of days required for a bike tour to Ladakh entirely depends upon the route you take and what all places you would like to cover on your expedition. You can choose to start your bike tour either from Delhi or form Manali or fly to Leh and begin your bike tour in Ladakh.
For a bike tour to Ladakh from Delhi, the time required would be 15-18 days, while From Manali you can cover most of the places in 10 days. If you fly to Leh and begin your bike tour then it would take 7-8 days to have an enjoyable experience.
Best route for Leh Ladakh Bike Trip
If you wish to go to Ladakh by motorcycle, then there are two important routes. The first one being from Manali, while the second one is from Srinagar.
Route 1: Manali to Leh & Back
Route Map: Delhi → Manali → Sarchu → Leh → Khardung La → Nubra Valley → Kargil → Srinagar → Delhi
Distance Covered: Approximately 2,569 kilometres
Route 2: Srinagar to Leh & Back
Route Map: Delhi → Jalandhar → Jammu → Srinagar → Kargil → Leh → Karu → Sarchu → Manali → Delhi
Distance Covered: Approximately 2,295 kilometers
Best bikes for a road trip to Ladakh
- Royal Enfield Himalayan BS 4 and variants
- Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
- Hero Xpulse
- Royal Enfield Bullet 350/ Classic 350
- KTM Duke RC 390
- Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350/ 500
- Bajaj Dominar 400
- Bajaj Avenger Cruise/ Street 220
During a bike trip to Leh Ladakh accommodation is one of the major concerns as rest is quite important when riding at such altitudes.To start with, there are a plethora of budget hotels in Ladakh that are affordable and are well equipped too with all required amenities. You can also consider campsites in order to experience the nature at its best coupled with pure rush of adrenalin.
No need o worry about food options, as there are several roadside dhabas on your way that serve delicious warm food at economical prices. But to be on a safer side on your bike trip to Ladakh it is extremely important that you have small amounts of food and water with you at all times.
Petrol pumps is undeniably one of the most important thing when it comes to bike tour to Ladakh. The region has very few petrol pumps , so it is advisable that whenever you spot one, get your tank filled.
Packing Essentials on Leh Ladakh Bike Tour
Make sure that you pack carefully when on a bike trip to Ladakh. Go for a smart and light packing.
Some essentials are:
- Sturdy helmet which is also comfortable.
- Valid photo identity proofs and most importantly, driving license.
- All-weather jackets that you can use in rain, snow, sunshine and the changing weather.
- Sweatshirts, jeans, shorts, shirts, tracks, inner-wear, socks, towels, handkerchiefs, and other clothing items that you may feel necessary.
- Trekking shoes or leather boots.
- Extra pair of socks gloves.
- Riding goggles to keep the cold air from your eyes.
- First-aid kit for yourself and a tool-kit for your bike.
- GPS and also a physical map.
- Charger, power banks, Bluetooth headset, batteries for backup, torch etc.
- A good-quality camera to capture the breathtaking landscapes.
- A Swiss Army Knife for its multi purposes.
- Camping tents, sleeping bags, cooking utensils and small packets of ration
- Disposable small packs of toiletries of toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo sachets, face wash, liquid soap, moisturizer, cold creams, etc.
- Loads of sunscreen with maximum SPF.
- Medicine for AMS, high temperatures, cold, lose motions, nosebleeds and other medications prescribed by doctors and medical practitioners.
- Keep over the counter medications for pain, antiseptic cream, and re-hydration salts (oral) – 6-8 sachets/Gatorade type electrolyte, iodine based water purification tablets, and Insect repellents.
To end with, the Leh Ladakh Bike tour is indeed an experience that you will cherish forever. Hoping this extensive guide is of great help to you. Happy Hiking!
Top 8 Reasons why Leh Ladakh bike trip should be on your travel buckelist in 2022
One thought on “Guide to Leh Ladakh Bike Trip – Comprehensive Guide for Bikers”