If you are a thrill seeker then here are some of the top reasons why you should not miss taking the Kedarkantha Trek from Dehradun.
- The Drive to the Base Camp
It is surely one of the most beautiful drives you will ever experience on any trek. The 18 km long stretch of the dense pine forest after Purola and the drive through the Mori valley alongside River Tons will be there with you for a long time. Make sure that you do not miss to watch out for them. The drive from Purola to Gaichawan Gaon goes through lovely pine forests thereby making the journey worthwhile.
- The Homestays
It will be a very warm experience for you if you live with the locals out there. You might notice that although their houses are close to each other all the houses look different, they dress differently and their lifestyle is a little bit different. Get a chance to experience this up close.
- The Forests
The forests of Kedarkantha will make you feel a sense of oneness with your surroundings more strongly and there are many factors that help bring this about:
– The forests in this stretch are the least traveled as apart from the villagers, only our trekkers take this route. Also, it is recommended to be careful and not get lost easily in this wilderness.
– The forest is extremely dense and immersive. Even the sun plays hide and seek here, making the stretch all the more magical.
– It is also diverse. Along with Deodar, Pine, and Oak, you will see several more varieties of trees and shrubs that you do not see on the other side.
- The Clearings
Kedarkantha has many beautiful clearings on all sides. It is one trek in the entire Himalayas, where there is no dearth of campsites and this is one of the major reasons why we have been able to open multiple routes on this trek. Other factors that make these clearings even more special are:
– All the clearings on this trek are uniquely different from each other.
– The views from each of these clearings are absolutely stunning and not to forget the sunsets, they are just jaw-dropping.
- Multiple Routes
Being a standalone mountain, the Kedarkantha trek from Dehradun is blessed with multiple routes to reach the summit and all of them are beautiful and unique in their own way. This factor allows you to explore the trek in your own particular way either by going with the popular route, choosing the quieter trail or adapting the route depending on the weather, etc.
- The Sunsets
It is because of the placement of these campsites that you get the opportunity to witness some of the most dramatic sunsets. Jalota and Pukhrola both face the western side of the sky and are both wide open to the sky thereby making the sunsets along this trail absolutely must-watch on the trek.
- The Summit
The Kedakantha trek is extremely famous for its summit. The first and foremost reason is that it is a proper summit marked by a cairn. Of all the 12,500 ft treks in the Himalayas, Kedarkantha is one of the two summit treks. The rest are all mostly passes or high points on a range. This in itself is really special. The second is the route to the summit. As soon as you are through with the tree line, the summit is right in front of you. So, right from the beginning of the trek, you know where you are trekking to and it creates an instant aspiration and also builds the challenge of the trek right from the beginning of the summit day.